Oklahoma City Zoo
In the heart of Oklahoma City lies a treasure trove of natural wonder and education: Oklahoma City Zoo. Renowned for its conservation efforts and diverse animal species, the zoo offers visitors an immersive journey into the animal kingdom.
About the Oklahoma City Zoo
Oklahoma City Zoo has been a part of the community since 1902, making it one of the oldest zoos in the United States. Spanning over 100 acres, the zoo is home to more than 1,900 animals from 500 different species, making it a must-visit destination for animal lovers and nature enthusiasts.
The zoo provides a remarkable variety of animal exhibits grouped into specific geographical regions or biological groups:
- Cat Forest/Lion Overlook - showcases large cats, including lions, tigers, and leopards.
- Great Escape - takes visitors into the world of primates, with gorillas, orangutans, and chimpanzees.
- Oklahoma Trails - offers a look at the state's native wildlife, such as black bears, bison, and otters.
Education is central to the mission of Oklahoma City Zoo. Here are a few of the programs offered:
- Regularly scheduled animal feedings and keeper chats allow visitors to learn more about the zoo's inhabitants directly from the experts.
- Camps and classes for children and teens offer hands-on learning experiences.
- "Zoo It All" passes provide access to rides and attractions while teaching about animal conservation and ecology.
The Oklahoma City Zoo demonstrates a strong commitment to global conservation:
- It participates in the Species Survival Plan, a program that works to maintain genetic diversity among zoo animals.
- The zoo regularly raises funds for conservation projects and encourages visitor participation through donation initiatives.
Amenities and Services
The zoo is designed to ensure a comfortable and convenient visit:
- On-site dining options include cafes and quick service restaurants, offering a variety of meals and snacks.
- A gift shop provides a selection of souvenirs and merchandise to remember your visit.
- Wheelchairs and strollers are available for rent to make navigating the park easier.
Events and Activities
Oklahoma City Zoo also hosts special events throughout the year:
- The annual "Haunt the Zoo" event offers Halloween fun for the whole family.
- During the holiday season, visitors can enjoy "Wild Lights," a spectacular display of festive lights.
- Themed animal celebrations, like World Elephant Day, help raise awareness about specific species and their conservation needs.
Oklahoma City Zoo offers a unique blend of entertainment, education, and conservation, providing a memorable experience for all visitors. The zoo is a shining gem in Oklahoma with its vast array of animals, extensive educational programs, and ongoing commitment to conservation. Whether you're a longtime resident or a first-time visitor, a day at Oklahoma City Zoo promises adventure, discovery, and fun for the whole family.